Aerobatic Training

Please note that the BAeA is NOT a flight training organisation. If you wish to learn to fly powered aircraft, we suggest you contact your local airfield, or contact AOPA (Aircraft Owners, Pilots Association) who - once you're a member - can provide a comprehensive online list of member's flying schools. If you're interest is in learning to fly gliders, then contact the British Gliding Association.

Training Directory

A number our members are either associated with, or run professional flight and aerobatic training companies, and can provide flight training from Ab-inito standard through to national and international competition standard.

For further information on their services, and details on how to contact them see the BAeA Aerobatic Training Directory.

Once a pilot is proficient, and has begun flying at competition level they will benefit from the expertise offered at the training camps the BAeA regularly organises . As a member, it is here that you will receive the best advice and tips available, from senior members and established competitors, offering air-air or air-ground critique and guidance in the specialist skills required to become a competitive aerobatic pilot.

Aerobatics in powered aircraft

Before entering an aerobatic competition in a powered aircraft , you must first hold a full pilots licence. Types of licence privileges can vary from country to country, but in the UK this is, at minimum, a private pilot licence (Group A aircraft). Once the licence is gained, in theory you can pick up a book and 'teach yourself aerobatics' as indeed many of our members have done. Most people however will find this rather daunting and will generally seek specific aerobatic training.

Many flying schools in the UK offer the AOPA Certificate in Aerobatics, or they may follow their own structured syllabus. Completion of the ten hour AOPA course and you own further practice should see you ready to check your proficiency and enter your first contest at beginners level. Once an established competitor, the BAeA Training camps will further develop your competition flying skills.

Aerobatics in glider aircraft

In the United Kingdom, gliding is governed by the British Gliding Association (BGA) who are responsible for initial training.  The local CFI decides which instructors can teach basic aerobatics and the figures up to and including Sports. Training in rolling and inverted flying can only be given by an instructor holding a BGA Advanced Aerobatic Instructor rating.

The aerobatic badge scheme was developed jointly by the BAeA and the BGA. The Standard (Beginners) badge test is conducted by a Full Category instructor approved by the local CFI. The most practical way of gaining a higher badge is by entering a BAeA contest.

Training to judge an aerobatic competition

Each year we also organise at least one judging school where the principles of judging an aerobatic competition is outlined. With allowances for the inherent differences between a glider and powered aircraft, the principles of judging a competition sequence in either type of aircraft is identical .

Training Camps

The calendar gives dates and locations for all power and glider aerobatic training camps being organised by BAeA. Each powered training camp will be strictly limited to eight participating pilots. selected on a first-come, first-served basis. Locations for powered training camps are often not confirmed until registration requests have been received. This allows us to provide these at locations convenient to applicants. Subscriptions are confirmed when the venue and numbers are finalised. Details of powered training camps can be discussed with the Training camp co-ordinator.

Training camps are also organised for Glider Aerobatics Training. These are listed in our annual calendar of events and further details can be discussed with the Glider Aerobatics representative